Friday, January 9, 2015

TAH DAH!!!

So you take this....





And turn it into this.....
OK, details, the center wool is my own blend, Camelicious, Baby Camel/BFL/Silk
The next colour, purple is Not Sock Blend, BFL/Silk, these two are hand spun and dyed by me.
The outter wool is NomNom, BFL/Silk, commercially dyed but hand spun by me again.

The shawl Pattern is Persian Star by Zari Zamen with errata's to the final border chart by Dame-en-noir on Ravelry, many thanks to her!!!!

It's not actually finished yet but I couldn't wait to post a pic of it.  I still have to sew in a few ends and block it which will be no mean feat due to the size of it.  The curtain rail it's over in the picture, is  a 2m picture window and it's barely stretched out.  It's certainly going to fit my king size bed easily as a cover.

A friend asked me if I was going to keep it for myself, which I will of course, unless someone wants to offer a fair price for a piece of lace work made from hand spun wool.  All offers considered, email me at woolznyarnz@hotmail.com





4 comments:

  1. WOW
    wonderful work :-) (and wonderful yarns, too)
    I already spun lace yarns, but I think that my skills don't allow me for now to spin enough for a big shawl ( I'm actually no able to spin a really plain and equally tin yarn for more than a skein)

    congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! All the wools were samples I spun to show people how my fibre spins up. I decided from the beginning that I would use them for a shawl so I tried to do them fairly evenly. I did have another ball that I felt was too thick to add to the shawl so I will make something else with that. And I did have to spin up another ball of the final fibre which I knew I had more of, to finish the shawl. I tend to use my Majacraft Suzie to spin with which I can do very large amounts of yarn on. It's not uncommon to get close to 2000metres in one ball. Lace does take a very long time to spin that much. Sometimes over 3 months of spinning. Consistency comes down to practice and most of my large skeins are rather inconsistent. It pays to tape a small sample to your wheel as a visual reference of the thickness of single you are aiming for.

      Delete
  2. I don't think that there are too many people out there who appreciate how much such an artwork is really worth; which is a shame really. Having spun and knit yarn for shawls before I do appreciate it, but of course I can make it myself too.
    Your shawl is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and you are very right. I am happy to say that there are people who appreciate a hand made masterpiece and are willing to pay an appropriate price. But if one cannot be found for this shawl it's going to look fabulous at my place or at some lucky persons who gets it as a gift.

      Delete

SOAP SOAP SOAP

The show went well.  Not as well as I would have liked but well enough... Now it's soap I am doing a lot of...Yet another old craft no...